Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Great Eight

I recently read The Great Eight; How to be Happy (even when you have every reason to be miserable) by Scott Hamilton with Ken Baker and think it might be helpful to people dealing with special needs. I got the book because my daughter used to be actively involved in ice skating and admired Hamilton's skill, but the book isn't just about skating.  Instead it uses Hamilton's experiences and basic facts about the world of skating in competitions to illustrate ways to deal with problems in life. I'm not sure how much of the book's organization was created by Hamilton and how much by Baker, but it's put together masterfully and very well written. I especially appreciated the chapter titles. Each one is about skating and illustrates the concept explained in the chapter, but without giving anything away. You'll need to read the book to find out the secrets, but I will mention that Hamilton has dealt with his own special needs, both as a child and a cancer survivor and seems to be a genuinely happy man. You can learn more about the book at http://brb.thomasnelson.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment