Sunday, October 18, 2009

Extra Post

I usually only post things on the blog on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but couldn't wait to share something I just heard about.
This morning at church a friend told me about a new contraption he just bought and I think other people might want to know about it. It's called a SARA and can scan and read things aloud for people who are blind or visually impaired. My friend is delighted that he'll be able to read ordinary books and even the local newspaper again.
I looked at the website of the company that makes the devices and discovered it can even convert things to Braille for people who are both deaf and blind. Here's the URL: http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/lv/sara-product-page.asp.
The one problem with the thing is the expense. It costs nearly $3,000! That means most people who would benefit from using it probably won't be able to afford one. But maybe the price will come down and as the economy improves more people will be able to benefit from the invention. Perhaps eventually schools and businesses will be able to buy them for employees and public libraries will make them available for people in their communities.
The SARA sounds like it will be extremely helpful to lots of people and I hope those who would benefit from it will have that option soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment