Saturday, February 6, 2010

Neurofeedback

Recently I've blogged about contraptions that help people with various disabilities and results of severe emotional stress. Here's something I've recently learned about that's relevant to both topics.
Neurofeedback, also known as EEG (electroencephalogram) feedback is a way to help people control the bioelectric functioning of their brains. No, it's nothing like electroshock therapy. No electricity goes into the brain. Instead the electric brain waves are picked up by sensors and displayed on a computer so the person experiencing the test can learn to control them.
Acording to the information I've seen about this process, it may be used to treat many conditions including PTSD, autism, learning disabilities, ADHD, depression, migraines, and addictions. Some of these are still being tested, but the results seem hopeful.
I'll see if I can find out more about it and share what I learn here in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment